Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Star Trek vs. Space Force - Which Came First?

Star Trek USS Enterprise


NASA just wants to have some fun. And why not? Life is just too short to take everything so seriously.

Here's the DJT tweet that set this off:
After consultation with our Great Military Leaders, designers, and others, I am pleased to present the new logo for the United States Space Force, the Sixth Branch of our Magnificent Military!






Okay, if you ask me, I prefer the fake Starfleet Command logo. But each image has its own merits. Yes, they are almost identical but the real USSF logo sticks with a rigid look and feel with typical government serif fonts and flat color tones.

So the real question is, who is copying whom?

Here are the cold, hard facts:

NASA'S Mission Statement: "An Act to provide for research into the problems of flight within and outside the Earth's atmosphere, and for other purposes."

With this simple preamble, the Congress and the President of the United States (The Eisenhower Administration) created the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) on October 1, 1958.

Star Trek Series:
The Star Trek series was actually first seen on September 6, 1966. It was produced from September 1966 to December 1967 by Norway Productions and Desilu Productions, and then by Paramount Television from January 1968 to June 1969. (Aw, I was just 10 years old)

Star Trek aired on NBC from September 8, 1966, to June 3, 1969. I think I remember the first episode ( The Man Trap) and like most Trekkies, I was hooked from episode one. And of course, I love all the excellent movies that the popular series inspired.

So there you have it. That's the low-down about which came first. Although, I think it's safe to say that it was a mutual exchange throughout the years and decades between both agencies, real and not so real.

You gotta love it, folks. For more about this interesting era in American history:
Learn more about it here:

1 comment:

  1. Greeting, My name is Ryan Carriere. I read your post and this post is really great. I learn something about this book. I am Author and illustrator of the Tales of the Assassin Rising series. I have some books and a website and also This Monday I will launch my new series Assassin Rising. If you need Those things please visit my page.
    https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/19389660.Ryan_Carriere

    ReplyDelete